Two week route, suitable for experienced sailors. Visit eleven Greek Islands and the infamous Mykonos! A combination of overnight passages, rugged scenery, picturesque coves and historical sites. Perfect choice for people who want to build mileage and enjoy sailing on the open sea. According to weather conditions, we drop anchor in:
Patmos is located on the eastern part of the Aegean Sea. The journey to the holy island from the island Samos is extremely short and there are daily routes by boats, flying dolphins and ships.
The port of Patmos is called Skala. On the top of the cliff is the beautiful Chora, the capital of the island with white houses and narrow roads overlooking the whole Aegean. In the middle of this landscape, dominates the enormous Byzantine monastery of St. John Theologos which was built in 1088. In the monastery's safe there are byzantine icons, jewelry and emperor's presents, while in the library there are 3000 books and rare manuscripts. On the route between Skala and Chora is the Cave of the Apocalypse. It's a 17th century monastery which was built around the cave in which St. John wrote the book of Revelations.
For many years, the island was a place of pilgrimage for the Catholic and the Orthodox. In the sixties, Patmos became for a while a favorite destination for hippies, who were trying to experience the spiritual vibes of the island. Today, this mountainous island and its small coves attract sun lovers who wish to dive in its crystalline waters. From the island's prior isolation and religiousness only the imposing Monastery of Saint John and the signs forbidding nude bathing and topless remain.
it is lying between the islands of Nisyros and Kalymnos, close to the coasts of Asia Minor. It is the greenest and most fertile island of the group and the second most touristy and popular island after cosmopolitan Rhodes. At first sight, Kos may be a bit disappointing with, its many bars and huge hotel complexes lining the coast. However, after a while, visitors will find that it is a very beautiful and attractive island with quiet nooks, appealing mountainous villages, an excellent touristy infrastructure, verdant landscape, abundant ground water and superb beaches of various sizes and colors.
Home of the Hippocrates, the father of medicine, which is a large island full of contrasts. Rich in history, with many ancient ruins, as well as modern, lively towns, Kos is most enjoyable. Apart from the main, busy harbour, you can also visit Kamares, a more secluded cove.
Kardemena – This harbor lies on the SE coast of the island. It used to be a small fishing village but now has become a resort area. It provides good shelter from the Meltem, there is a pier to moor on to but at night due to the nightlife it can get a bit noisy. Fuel, water and provisioning are available.
Limin Kos - A fairly busy harbor as there are small boats that go back and forth from Turkey. During the Meltem it offers good shelter but it does tend to swell up. All facilities are available. Masthari – This is a small fishing village on the NW coast of Kos. There is a new mole and offers good shelter from the Meltem.
Ormos Kamares – This small bay is located on the South end of the island. It offers good shelter from the Meltem and there is a small mole to moor on to. Water is also available at the mole as well as few tavernas.
The island was originally colonized by the Carians. A contingent from Kos participated in the War of Troy. The Dorian’s invaded it in the 11th century BC, establishing a Dorian colony with a large contingent of settlers from Epidaurus who took with them their Asclepius cult and made their new home famous for its sanatoria. The other chief sources of the island's wealth lay in its wines, and in later days, in its silk manufacture.
Its early history as part of the religious-political amphictyony that included Lindos, Kamiros, Ialysos, Cnidus and Halicarnassus, the Dorian Hexapolis (Greek for six cities), is obscure. At the end of the 6th century Kos fell under Achaemenid domination, but rebelled after the Greek victory at Cape Mykale in 479. During the Greco-Persian Wars, when it expelled the Persians twice, it was ruled by tyrants, but as a rule it seems to have been under oligarchic government. In the 5th century it joined the Delian League, and after the revolt of Rhodes served as the chief Athenian station in the south-eastern Aegean (411-407). In 366 BC, a democracy was instituted. After helping to weaken Athenian power, in the Social War (357-355 BC), it fell for a few years to the king Mausolus of Caria. In 366 BC, the capital was transferred from Astypalaia to the new-built town of Kos, laid out in a Hippodamian grid plan.
In the Hellenistic age Kos attained the zenith of its prosperity. Its alliance was valued by the kings of Egypt, who used it as an outpost for their navy to watch the Aegean. Kos was also known as Meropis and Nymphea. Diodorus Siculus and Strabo describe it as a well-fortified port. Its position gave it a high importance in Aegean trade; while the island itself was rich in wines of considerable fame. Under Alexander III of Macedon and the Egyptian Ptolemy’s (from 336 B.C.) the town developed into one of the great centers in the Aegean. Except for occasional incursions by corsairs and some severe earthquakes, the island has rarely had its peace disturbed. Following the lead of its great neighbor, Rhodes, Kos generally displayed a friendly attitude towards the Romans; in 53 AD it was made a free city.
The island was later conquered by the Venetians, who then sold it to the Knights Hospitaller of Rhodes (the Knights of St John) in 1315. Two hundred years later the Knights faced the threat of a Turkish invasion and abandoned the island to the Ottoman Empire in 1523. The Ottomans ruled Kos for 400 years until it was transferred to Italy in 1912. In World War II, the island was taken over by the Axis powers. It was occupied by Italian troops until the Italian surrender in 1943. British and German forces then clashed for control of the island in the Battle of Kos, in which the Germans were victorious. German troops occupied the island until 1945, when it became a protectorate of the United Kingdom, who ceded it to Greece in 1947.
Ikaria owes its name to Icarus, the hero of Greek mythology son of Daedalus, both of which managed to escape from the labyrinth of Crete, due to the feathers and wax wings they made. However, Icarus flied too close to the sun, so his wings melted and he fell into the Aegean Sea, where he died. When he was found, he was buried in an island that was given its name (Ikaria), in honor of the fallen Icarus. However, apart from the legend of Icarus, Ikaria has been known from ancient times due to elements, such as its thermal springs, east and west of the main port of Agios Kirikos, and its famous dark red wine.
In comparison to its neighbors, Ikaria may not result immediately appealing for some types of visitors. However, those who love hiking around wild beauty, with no added infrastructure and crowds will enjoy the typical immaculate ancient Greek vibe of the island, almost untouched by tourism influence. For example, the twisting, mountainous road that connects Agios Kirikos, the capital of the island, with its second port, named Evdilos in the north; this is recommended for those who like adventure, and as a final result it offers the greatest views of the coast, the sea and neighboring islands. Ikaria is one of the greenest islands of the Aegean Sea, counting on a great variety of wildlife. The most popular resort is found in Armenistis, an area with some excellent beaches and an increasing amount of tour facilities. In fact, the whole profile of the island is orientated to those who enjoy simple and traditional facts, instead of tourist whims. But despite these facts, Ikaria counts on several places for amusement, since locals are actually fun and hospitable people that enjoy socializing and partying.
Ikaria has been inhabited since at least 7000 BC, when it was populated by the Neolithic pre-Hellenic people that Greeks called Pelasgians. Around 750 BC, Greeks from Miletus colonized Ikaria, establishing a settlement in the area of present day Campos, which they called Oenoe for its wine.
Ikaria, in the 6th century BC, became part of Polycrates' sea empire, and, in the 5th century BC, the Ikarian cities of Oenoe and Thermae were members of the Athenian-dominated Delian League. In the 2nd century, the island was colonized by Samos. At this time, the Tauropolion, the temple of Artemis was built at Oenoe. Coins of the city represented Artemis and a bull. In the 14th century Ikaria became part of a Genoese Aegean empire. At one stage, during this time, the Ikarians actually destroyed their harbors to deter the aggressive visitors. The Knights of St. John, who had their base in Rhodes, exerted some control over Ikaria until 1521, when the Ottoman Empire incorporated Ikaria into its realm. The Ikarians hanged the first Turkish tax collector but managed to escape punishment, as none would identify the guilty one and the Turks realistically determined that there was neither profit nor honor in punishing all. Thanks in part to the island's primitive conditions and poverty; the Turks imposed a very loose administration, not sending any officials to Ikaria for several centuries.
The island of Leros belongs to the Dodecanese, located between Kalymnos and Patmos,. The sea scalped the coastline of Leros with lavish artistry giving it lacy shores, sandy beaches, protected harbors and multitude of little islands all-around it. Nature there has been endowed with lush vegetation and landscape of pleasant alterations. History has played an important role on the island since ancient times. The people who have lived there have shown it respect and built monasteries, churches and mansions in a unique architectural style. Today Leros gives the impression of being one of the last little paradises. At the beautiful, organized beaches of Agia Marina, Alinda, Krithoni, Panteli, Vromolithos, Xerokampos and Laki one can enjoy all swimming activities as well as relaxing.
Leros Island is another place ideal for those who crave for most absolute tranquility on a beautiful island. Having a coastline 71 km long as well as a mountainous topography, it offers a number of gulfs and beaches, some of them with some vegetation. In general terms, the villages of Leros are the typical Aegean villages in this specific area, and are scattered all around the volcanic area, from which there is a rather high visibility towards other neighboring islands. Its waters also have a great visibility, as it is usually easy to see distant points located as far as 30 or 45 meters deep. Tourists enjoy visiting the several shipwrecked warships and tankers, a result of the World War II. They also enjoy sunbathing and bathing in the warm waters. There are many underwater caves to explore on Leros, which is why the island is developing as a diving destination. Most tourists also enjoy the local festivals, full of typical music and traditional dances.